Dome Compass, Inc.
Online Privacy Statement
Effective January 1, 2019
Dome Compass, Inc. (“Dome”) understands that you care about how we collect, use, and share information, particularly personal information, when you interact with our website and mobile application (“Services”), and we value the trust you place in us.
We designed the Dome network with privacy front of mind. We want you to know what information we collect about you, what we do with it, with whom we share it and why, and we want you to be in the driver’s seat, controlling the collection, use and sharing of your information while we provide the Services.
Other social networks monetize the data that their users generate and provide while using the service, and they treat you – the user – as the product, not the “customer.” We’re different. We put you in control of who sees the information you choose to add to your profile and with whom in the network you connect. And while we may provide information and advertisements to you about public policy events and issues, and other services that we think may be of interest to you based on your profile, we do so for the purpose of furthering our goal of elevating the public policy debate and understanding of the issues. Our business model is not based on selling or sharing your personal information.
Lastly, we reserve the right to amend this policy, but will notify you before we do so.
This Online Privacy Statement (the “Privacy Statement” or the “Statement”) explains:
- The types of information we collect through our Services;
- How we use and protect that information;
- When and with whom we may share your information;
- The choices you have regarding our collection, use, and sharing practices; and
- Details regarding our use of third-party cookies and other tracking technologies.
When This Privacy Statement Applies
This Privacy Statement applies to the Services, as well as the information we collect when you interact with our Services. It does not apply to non-Dome websites and applications that may link to the Services or be linked from the Services; please review the privacy policies on those websites and applications directly to understand their privacy practices.
If we make material changes to this policy, we will notify you in advance by posting information about the change on our Services. Your continued use of our Services following the posting of any changes will mean that you accept those changes.
Information We Collect From or About You
Below we describe the different types of information we collect from you and the devices you use when you interact with our Services.
Information You Give Us:
We collect and store any information you provide when you use our Services. This may include the following:
- Mailing address, including zip code;
- Phone number;
- Email address;
- Educational background;
- Work history;
- Issues in which you are interested;
- Comments and other information that you post to the Service; and
- Other information you provide during a registration/sign-up process.
Information We Collect Automatically:
When you interact with the Services, we automatically collect certain information about the device that you are using, as well as how you use our Services. This information includes the following:
- Information generated when you use our Services, such as the date and time, the frequency and pattern of use, geolocation data (we will not collect GPS-related location data unless you opt in!), weblogs, the resources that you access while using our Services, and the website you were on before reaching our site;
- Information about the type of device you use to access our Services, as well as, where available, your IP address, operating system and browser type; and
- Information about how you interact with our ads and newsletters, including whether you open or click links in any correspondence we send to you.
When you use our Services, we may place pieces of data on your computer or device in order to provide a better experience for you, the user. Cookies are not required for many parts of our Services, but some of our Services may not function properly if you disable cookies. (Although most web browsers automatically accept cookies, many browsers allow you to block cookies or alert you when a website is attempting to place a cookie on your computer.) When your browser or device allows it, we may place session cookies and persistent cookies on your device or computer to better understand how you interact with our Services, to monitor aggregate usage patterns, and to personalize our Services. Session cookies are short-lived and exist only for the duration of time that the user spends on the Services (and are deleted from memory), whereas persistent cookies remain on the computer after a reboot.
Information from Third Parties
If you are a Member of Congress, congressional staffer or public policy advocate, we may collect and use information about you from publicly available third-party sources such as KnowWho, which provides data regarding Members of Congress and their staff. We only collect and use information that is mandated to be made public. We don’t scrape data from other third-party sites. Instead, you’re in control of adding any additional information that you choose to your profile.
Do Not Track
Dome does not collect personal information about your online activities over time across third-party websites or online services. Therefore, “Do Not Track” signals transmitted from web browsers do not apply to our site, and we do not alter any of our data collection or use practices upon receipt of such a signal.
How We Protect Children’s Privacy
Dome’s Services are general audience services not directed at children under the age of 16. If we obtain actual knowledge that any information we collect has been provided by a child under the age of 16, we will promptly delete that information.
How We Use Information We Collect From or About You
We may combine information from KnowWho with other information that you voluntarily provide to us through your use of the Services, and information collected about you from a particular browser or device that we believe may be linked to you to:
- Provide our Services;
- Communicate with you, including to respond to your inquiries and fulfill your requests;
- Provide, maintain, personalize, optimize, and improve the Services, including by conducting research and analytics regarding use of the Services, or to remember you when you leave and return to the Services;
- Detect, investigate, and prevent activities that may violate our policies or be fraudulent or illegal; and
- Provide information – consistent with our core values of community and collaboration – about opportunities for advocacy, collaboration, and education about public policy issues, or events or offers that may be of interest to you and that further our goals of fostering meaningful discourse about public policy issues.
How We Share Information About You
We will never sell the information that we collect about you or that you provide to us, including user-generated metadata, but we may share the information we collect online for the following limited purposes:
Display and Provide the Services: The Services are designed to facilitate conversation between and among users. Therefore, when a user of our Services posts information, it may be displayed to other users of the Services.
Third-Party Service Providers and Partners: We may share information with companies who provide services on our behalf to help us provide and support our Services. This may include marketing automation partners; website, software, or data storage companies; analytics providers that assist us in the improvement and optimization of our site; and customer survey providers that help us receive feedback and improve our Services. Service providers are prohibited from using any information we provide them for their own purposes.
Aggregated or De-identified Data: We may also provide aggregated or de-identified data that does not identify you to third parties to use for their own purposes.
Business Transfers and Corporate Changes: We may change our ownership or corporate organization while providing the Services. We may transfer to another entity or its affiliates or service providers some or all of the information we maintain about you in connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, acquisition, sale of assets or any line of business, change in ownership control, or financing transaction. We cannot promise that an acquiring party or the merged entity will have the same privacy practices or treat your information the same as described in the Privacy Statement.
To Comply with Laws, Protect and Enforce our Rights, and Prevent Fraud and Harm to Others: We may use or disclose information about you if required to do so by law or in the good-faith believe that such sharing is necessary to
- (a) enforce our Terms of Service;
- (b) comply with applicable law or legal process;
- (c) protect and defend our rights or property, the Services, or our users; or
- (d) protect the personal safety of our employees and agents, other users of the Services, or members of the public.
With Your Consent: We may share information with third parties when we have your consent to do so.
We will retain your information as needed to provide you access to the Services or as required by law.
California Privacy Rights
If you are a California resident under the age of 18, and a registered user of any site where this policy is posted, California Business and Professions Code Section 22581 permits you to request and obtain removal of content or information you have publicly posted. To make such a request, please send an email with a detailed description of the specific content or information to firstname.lastname@example.org. We cannot guarantee complete or comprehensive removal of the content or information that you have posted, and there may be circumstances in which the law does not require or allow removal, even if requested.
Pursuant to California Civil Code Section 1798.83(c)(2), Dome does not share your personal information with third parties for those third parties’ direct marketing purposes.
Information for Individuals Located in the European Union (EU)
If you are located in the EU, you may have additional rights with respect to your personal information. If you would like to exercise those rights, please contact us at the email address below.
Legal Basis for Processing
We will rely on the following legal bases for processing your personal information, depending on our purpose for processing the information.
- You have consented to the processing of your personal information: If we rely on your consent as a basis for using your information, you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time by contacting us.
- We have a legitimate interest in processing your personal information: Dome has a legitimate interest in processing your information for certain business and security purposes and to comply with applicable laws.
- Processing is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation: We will process personal data when necessary to comply with an obligation under EU or EU Member State law.
Rights of Individuals Located in the EU
If you are located in the EU, you have the following rights, subject to applicable exceptions under EU law:
- Right of access: You have the right to obtain confirmation that we are processing personal information about you, and if so, request a copy of such information.
- Right to correction: You have the right to correct any inaccuracies in the personal information that we hold about you and, where applicable, complete any incomplete information.
- Right to erasure: You have the right to request that Dome erase the personal information that we hold about you.
- Right to restrict processing: You have the right to restrict our processing of your personal information under certain circumstances.
- Right to data portability: You have the right to receive personal information concerning you in a structured, common and machine-readable format or request transmission of such information to a third party.
- Right to object: You have the right to object to the processing of your personal information based on our legitimate interests. We will no longer process the information unless there are compelling legitimate grounds for processing that override the interests, rights and freedoms of the individual, or the processing serves the purpose of asserting, exercising or defending legal claims.
- Right to lodge a complaint: You have the right to lodge a complaint with the appropriate supervisory authority. Contact details for data protection authorities are available here.
Updating Your Information
If you have an account with us, you can update your information or adjust your contact and marketing preferences by logging in to your account.
How We Secure the Information We Collect From or About You
We use a combination of physical, technical, and administrative safeguards to protect the information we collect through the Services. While we use these precautions to safeguard your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of the networks, systems, servers, devices, and databases we operate or that are operated on our behalf.
Other Important Information
Aggregation Websites: Other companies offer websites and services that allow you to consolidate account information from multiple sources. To do this, those companies might ask you for your Dome account credentials. Dome is not responsible for your use of such websites and services. If you provide account credentials or other details about your Dome account to such website or services, Dome will consider that you have authorized the website or service to access your Dome account information. If you decide to revoke the authority you have given to an aggregation website or service, we strongly recommend that you change your password for the Services to ensure that your Dome account is inaccessible to the aggregation website or service.
Location and Transfer of Personal Information: Personal information that you provide to us and through our Services may be stored on servers, databases and with third-party service providers in the United States and other countries whose data protection laws may differ from the jurisdiction in which you live. When we transfer personal information from the EU, we put in place appropriate safeguards to ensure the lawful transfer and handling of such information.
Dome Compass, Inc.
700 Pennsylvania Ave SE
Washington DC 20003
For Questions, or to Report a Problem
For questions about our privacy practices, contact us via email at email@example.com.